| Middle Asia, with its rich cultural tradition, its diverse populations, its nomads, its contemporary scorn as well as its tremendous hidden dynamics, felt only by those who get there, is for most of us an unknown world, which we are forced to know and understand now, by the flow of history.
The special feelings of love for the art of the handmade carpet, shared by the members of the Pengas Company, led to the founding, for the first time in Greece, of the Club of Friends of the Oriental Carpet
The Club of Friends of the Oriental Carpet wants to participate in the proper informing and understanding of the world of the Orient, from inside the prism of the art of weaving, always using it, though, more like a cause than absolute purpose.
The informal Club of Friends of the Oriental Carpet of Galerie Dora Penga, is intensifying its activities and defining its identity. It is an extension of our non-profit organization "Eastern Paths". It is, though, a more open and flexible scheme, with a lower subscription fee, less obligations, numerous privileges and equal information and participation rights in our various activities.
Some of the privileges enjoyed by the members of the Club are: immediate notice on Club happenings, as well as those of the "Eastern Paths", participation in our trips to the Orient and subscription to Ghereh Magazine. Gradually, in cooperation with other groups, these privileges will be expanded.
Members' benefits include:
For further information:
- Annual subscription to the specialty magazine Ghereh.
- Receipt of an informative newsletter every 6 months.
- Exclusive previews of the new arrivals at the Dora Penga Galerie.
- Special discounts for purchases from Galerie Dora Penga and OUTLET Pengas.
Club of Friends of the Oriental Carpet
Coordinator: Ms. Maria Charalabidou,
Tel. No +30 2310 462 020, +30 2310 465 950
Monday to Saturday 10:30 - 15:00
- Cultural trip to Iran, April 26 - May 8, 2000
- Trip to Constantinople November 16 - 19, 2000.
- Exhibit at the MYLOS Gallery on: Jajim, Hortzim, Gelim: Nomadic Life in Central Asia , June 8 -25, 2000.
- Lecture by Anton Felton, M-Phil FCA ATII, in cooperation with the Thessaloniki Jewish Community, on: Jewish Carpets: Their History and Meaning, Wednesday, October 18, 2000, at the Jewish Community Center of Thessaloniki.
- Exclusive presentation: Wine & Design, on March 15, 2001 , at the Galerie Dora Penga in Thessaloniki, on: Western Design Meets Oriental Art, through the magical world of the handmade carpet.
- Forum on: The Civilization of Afghanistan and its Textiles, on March 20, 2002 , in Athens , and on November 1, 2002 in Thessaloniki . On both occasions, there was a parallel photo exhibit by Dimitris Messinis (Assoc. Press) titled: Contemporary Images from Afghanistan .
- Presentation of the book "The Oriental Carpet", by Dora Penga, in Athens, at the Stoa of Books, on October 23, 2000 and in Thessaloniki at the Folklore and Ethnological Museum of Macedonia-Thrace, on November 1, 2000.
- Speech of Mr Pengas on the 11th February 2004 honored the members of the National Organization of Women in Greece. The event was at American College of Thessaloniki at Compton Hall and the subject of the speech was: "The paths of Nomads-a way of life that is disappearing"
- Speech of Mrs Dora Penga at Electra Palace on the 11th May 2005 under the support of Lions Alexandros and with the subject: " The carpet and the civilization"